We’re leaving cash in the past. Contactless is the future.
There are very few of us who still carry cash what with our phones pretty much taking care of everything for us. Half the time we don’t even need a bank card to buy things which is super-cool, and also a little dangerous for the shopaholics of the world.
Contactless technology has made it possible to buy our goodies with a simple swoosh of our phones, and is something that will be invaluable when lockdown ends. Lots of shops opted for card payments only throughout the pandemic and this may continue when things begin to open up again.
It’s not only easier but definitely safer to whip out your mobile phone and make a payment, whether you’ve got an Android or an iOS device.
Get on board with Google Pay.
The first thing you’ll want to do is add your bank card to your Google Pay account.
1) Open the Google Pay app.
2) Tap on your profile picture, select Bank Accounts, and then tap Cards.
3) Enter your card details.
4) Tap Save.
5) Next to the new payment method, tap Activate or Enable Contactless.
6) You may be prompted to enter a one-time password to complete the set up.
You can add more than one card to your account so that you can switch between the joint account for everyday shopping and your own card for a little treat for you – or the joint card for that too, we won’t tell.
You can use Google Pay wherever you see either the contactless or Google Pay symbols. They’ll normally be located on the payment terminal screen or somewhere around the till area in a store.
Once you’re all set up, you can go ahead and use your Android device to make payments.
1) Wake up and unlock your phone.
2) Hold the back of your phone close to the payment reader for a few seconds.
3) A check mark will appear when the payment is complete. If this check mark doesn’t appear, try holding your phone in a slightly different position to ensure the two devices can communicate properly.
4) Depending on which phone you have, you may be asked to enter your PIN.
Apple Pay is the way.
If you’re an iPhone loyal user and want to discover more about how to use Apple Pay to buy your bits and bobs, you’re in the perfect place. You can use your iPhone or Apple Watch to complete transactions, making for easier and safer purchases.
Of course, you’ll need to add your card to your wallet before you get started.
1) Go to Settings.
2) Scroll until you find Wallet & Apple Pay.
3) Tap Add Card.
4) Enter your card details and click save.
There are lots of different ways you can pay in store, be it with your Face, your touch, or your watch.
It’s definitely worth noting though that once your card is registered on your iPhone, you can make easier payments when you’re online shopping, too – not sure if this is excellent news or the beginning of the end of my bank balance…
Pay with Face ID.
1) To use your default card, double-click the power button.
2) Look at your iPhone to authenticate with Face ID. If it doesn’t recognise your face, you will be prompted to enter your passcode.
3) Hold your iPhone near the contactless reader until you see ‘Done’.
Pay with Touch ID.
1) To use your default card, rest your finger on Touch ID.
2) Hold the top of your iPhone near the contactless reader until you see Done and a tick.
Pay with Apple Watch.
1) To use your default card, double-click the side button below the crown dial.
2) Hold the display of your Apple Watch near the contactless reader.
3) Wait until you feel a gentle pulse against your wrist.
Get your spend on.
There’s going to be so much for you to buy with all the money that you’ve been saving in lockdown.
The truth is, when you’re pulling your phone out to make these little purchases, you’re going to want a phone that is easy on the eye, too.
Luckily for you, we’ve got unmissable prices on the very best of the best, just waiting for you to snatch them up.