Get up close and personal with your internet connection.
Sharing is caring and it’s especially kind when the thing that you’re sharing is your mobile data. For those rare, old-fashioned areas where Wi-Fi isn’t on the menu, you can transform your iPhone (or iPad) into a Personal Hotspot.
This lets you connect other devices to your iPhone and allows them to use your internet to get online. In plain terms, they’ll essentially sponge off your mobile data.
We’re pretty sure this will have you climbing the popularity ladder as your friends swarm around you to get online. If you’re on a long train commute with no Wi-Fi, you can connect your laptop to your iPhone.
This is just to name a few ways that your Personal Hotspot will come in handy. We thought you might like a handy guide on how to set it up and how to get connected.
Let’s get personal.
Set up your Personal Hotspot.
Setting up your Personal Hotspot is as easy as pie, simply follow these three easy steps.
1) Go to Settings and select Personal Hotspot.
2) Tap the slider next to Allow Others to Join.
3) Follow the steps below to create your own Personal Hotspot password. This is what other devices will need to connect to it.
Set or change your Wi-Fi password.
1) Go to Settings.
2) Scroll until you find Personal Hotpot.
3) Tap the Wi-Fi password to change it.
Together is better.
There are lots of different ways that you can connect other devices to a Personal Hotspot, and we thought you might want a step-by-step of each. You can choose whether to connect using Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or USB.
If your iPhone runs iOS 13 or later, you can connect other devices to its Personal Hotspot, even when the iPhone is locked. This makes the connection much more practical and will also save your iPhone battery.
1) On the device you want to connect to go to Settings.
2) Go to Mobile Data.
3) Go to Personal Hotspot and turn it on.
4) On the device you’re connecting, go to Settings.
5) Go to Wi-Fi and look for the iPhone or iPad in the list.
6) Tap on this network to join and enter the Personal Hotspot password.
Using your USB.
1) Turn on Personal Hotspot on your iPhone.
2) Connect your iPhone to your computer using the USB cable that came with it.
3) A message will pop up that says Trust This Computer, tap trust.
Sharing with Family.
Personal Hotspot is another funky feature that you can set up as part of Family Sharing on your iPhone and the rest of the clans too – without needing a password.
1) On your device with the Personal Hotspot go to Settings.
2) Scroll down until you find Personal Hotspot.
3) Select Family Sharing and turn it on.
4) Tap the name of each of your family members in your group and set whether they need to ask for approval or can join the Hotspot automatically.
When the connection is successful, the status bar will turn blue and show how many devices have joined – so you can keep track of any sneaky extras.
Building a strong connection.
Like we said, there’s nothing quite like sharing the most important things with your family and friends – and what’s more important than internet! We’re joking of course, but we are suckers for a good internet connection.
Using Personal Hotspot is super easy and it’s definitely worth finding out how it works so you can make use of it yourself or be generous and let other people in on the fun.
Looking for a new iPhone so you can get started? You’re in luck. We’ve got prices you’ll love on some of the very best that Apple has to offer.